Castle Batthyány

The castle that stood in the place of Castle Batthyányi was mentioned first in a certificate from 1299. The boarder castle had to face serious attacks in the Turkish times and it is justified by the fact that it had to be fixed times in 80 years.
The castle belonged to the Hagymásys for more than 200 years, and it got into the hand of the Batthyánys only in 1663 when the last Hagymásy died. After the chasing the Turkish out the boarder castle lost its significant role and it gradually got ruined. In 1767 Batthyány Imre had the castle that managed to survive lootings demolished and built the one that is still standing. The facade of the U-shaped brick building runs parallel with the River Zala, at the end of the each wing there is a semicirclular tower. The cellar can be found under the northern wing of the one-storey building, the former rooms on the floor. On the very same place there is the ceremonial assembly hall looking towards the west. In the rooms on the groundfloor did the former servants live.
In the 1800s the Batthyánys put some rooms in Renaissance style and furbished the castle with furniture in the same style. Most of the furniture can still be found in the building.

There is a Latin notice on the eastern facade of the castle:

SIC eX annosIS sVrgVnt noVa teCta rVInIs haeC sI non pLaCent, faC Meliora, LICet

It means: The old ruins turn into bright buildings, if you do not like the new one, put something else in its place.
The capitals symbolise Roman numbers - MCCCCCCLLLXIIIIIII -, which value refers to the year when the castle was built.

The last owners of the castle were the Károlyis, who placed the shield with the prince crown in the western part of the castle. The following Latin notice can be read on the shield:
FID ET VIRTUTE QVERE
It means: Gain popularity with faith and hope.

The castle got into the hand of the Ministry of Religion and Education after the war in 1947 and it was turned into a primary student hostel. In 1950 a primary school, nursery and youth hostel for disabled children was opened here and the residents are still disabled children. The refurbishing of the castle was started in 1984 and the construction took four years. At present the maintainer of the castle is the Local Authority of County Zala.